The European Forest Institute is an international organisation, established by European States.
- 30 European States have ratified the Convention on EFI.
- We have c.130 Associate and Affiliate Member organisations in 42 countries.
- Our Headquarters is in Joensuu, Finland, and we also have offices in Barcelona, Bonn and Brussels as well as project offices in Malaysia and China.
- We facilitate and stimulate forest-related networking and promote the dissemination of unbiased and policy-relevant information on forests and forestry.
- We also advocate for forest research and for the use of scientifically sound information as a basis for forest policies.
Our work in the field of policy support includes enhanced support for decision takers and policy makers. We host the International Partnerships Facility which is a global centre of knowledge and expertise that supports policy and governance reforms to safeguard the world’s forests. It facilitates partnerships between producing and consuming countries to foster legal, deforestation-free and sustainable timber, and agricultural commodity production and trade.
Find out more in the EFI Strategy 2025.