FORESTERRA was an ERA-NET Scheme which is financed by the European Commission under its Seventh Framework Programme (FP7). FORESTERRA reinforced the scientific coordination and integration of Mediterranean programmes in forest research, enhanced scientific cooperation in the EU and non-EU member countries of the Mediterranean area and with countries from other Mediterranean Climate Areas (Australia, South Africa, Chile, California). FORESTERRA was coordinated by the Ministry of Economy and Competitiveness of Spain.
The scheme includes:
- Mapping and information exchange to improve mutual knowledge of existing programmes and capacities as well as for sharing best practices
- Defining common strategic activities to reduce the fragmentation of the research community, avoiding overlaps and promoting synergies among existing capacities and identifying scientific areas that require transnational funding
- Implementation of joint activities to consolidate partnerships and develop common schemes for programme evaluation, as well as for mutual opening of facilities, laboratories and experimental sites
- Calls for joint research projects to maximise the research impact of the network.
In addition to these four steps, a targeted action focussed on “upscaling” them at a global Mediterranean level by exchanging information on existing programmes with other Mediterranean Climate Areas to identify common strategic activities and scientific priorities of mutual interest.
- Ministry of Economy and Competitiveness - MINECO (Spain)
- International Centre for Advanced Mediterranean Agronomic Studies - CIHEAM (International)
- Ministry of Agriculture - MAAPRAT (France)
- Ministero delle Politiche Agricole Alimentari e Forestali - MIPAAF (Italy)
- Ministry of Environment and Forestry, Southwest Anatolia Forest Research Institute - SAFRI (Turkey)
- European Forest Institute - Mediterranean Regional Office - EFIMED (International)
- Consiglio per la Ricerca e Sperimentazione in Agricoltura - CRA (Italy)
- Institut National de la Recherche Agronomique - INRA (France)
- Fundação para a Ciência e a Tecnologia - FCT (Portugal)
- Institution of Agricultural Research and Higher Education - IRESA (Tunisia)
- Haut Commissariat aux Eaux et Forêts et à la Lutte Contre la Désertification - HCEFLCD (Morocco)
- Executive Forestry Agency - EFA (Bulgaria)
- Ministry of Agriculture and Environment - MAE (Slovenia)
- Ministry of Science, Education and Sports - MZOS (Croatia)
- Ministry of Environment, Energy and Climate Change - MEECC (Greece)
- Institut National de Recherche Forestière - INRF (Algeria)
More info at the project website: http://www.foresterra.eu/ (Last visited 26.06.2018)