Currently available traineeships
1) Bioeconomy innovation exploitation and awareness raising
The Bioregions Facility is aiming to be a knowledge center of innovation for the regional forest bioeconomy. The trainee will support activities related to exploitation of innovation in forest bioeconomy from the Bioregions Facility and in wildfires from the FIRE-RES project, as well as awareness raising activities.
Specifically, activities include:
- Support the organisation of matchmaking events such as “Forestry Speed Datings"
- Support the implementation of activities aimed at speeding up innovation, facilitating the replication, access to market and upscaling of novel solutions in forestry and forest value chains.
- Support the implementation and exploitation of surveys to better understand how different target groups perceive the bioeconomy
- Other activities as agreed during the internship period
- Academic background in forestry, natural resources, wood industry or similar
- Interest in innovation
- Hands-on, proactive, independent
- Microsoft office
Duration: 6 months
Other info (e.g., funding available): A complementary fee can be considered
Traineeship location: Joensuu, Finland or Barcelona, Spain
Contact person: Siebe Briers (email@example.com)
2) Adapting forest management to a changing climate – between science and practice
In response to simultaneously changing climate and societal demands as well as increased forest disturbances there is a need to develop and implement improved climate and biodiversity smart forest management practices. In the context of two ongoing projects, the Horizon Europe project ForestPaths and a smaller project on “Challenges and experiences in adapting forest management to a changing climate” the Traineeship will support reviews on climate and biodiversity smart forest management, considering the diverse forest types and management regimes across Europe. Moreover, we aim to understand what climate change adaptation and biodiversity conservation measures are being implemented in different forest enterprises across Europe that follow an integrative management approach. Through literature review, online questionnaires aimed at practitioners and in-depth interviews with specific forest enterprise case studies, we examine these measures, how they overlap, what knowledge sources influence their implementation, and what impacts they have on the forest enterprise and other ecosystem services.
- Review climate and biodiversity smart forest management practices in different forest management contexts
- Supporting the writing of a report on biodiversity conservation and climate adaptation measures in managed forests
- Helping to identify appropriate forest enterprise case studies for in-depth interviews; Compiling and analysing questionnaire responses; Transcription of in-depth interviews
- Knowledge of forestry, forest climate adaptation and biodiversity conservation
- Experience conducting literature reviews
- Experience analysing qualitative data from questionnaires/surveys
- Excellent spoken and written English
- Knowledge of other European languages (preferred)
Duration: 6 months
Other info: Funding is available. Start date as soon as possible. Apply by 20 Feb., 2023.
Traineeship location: Bonn, Germany
Contact person: Marcus Lindner (firstname.lastname@example.org)