KAMI in Malaysia
Malaysia is the world’s second-largest producer of palm oil, and is a key partner in the KAMI project.
KAMI supports dialogue between stakeholders in the EU and Malaysia on the sustainability of the palm oil value chain, by providing clear, objective information on EU policies and regulations, and on national systems and circumstances in Malaysia. We also provide technical assistance to enhance platforms and initiatives as a way to demonstrate Malaysian palm oil sustainability and traceability, and communicate on project results and best practices identified.
• Strengthened EU-Malaysia dialogue on palm oil sustainability
• Improved capacity for palm oil sustainability monitoring and traceability at the national and district levels
• Strengthened communication on sustainable palm oil
KAMI Malaysia Strategic Country Board (SCB) – the decision-making body for KAMI in Malaysia; provides strategic guidance and approves the work plans for Malaysia. It is composed of six EU services and 10 Malaysian Ministries and agencies.
KAMI facilitates information exchange between the EU and stakeholders in Malaysia to help develop a common, objective understanding of EU policies and national contexts relating to palm oil.
We work with partners on the ground to develop documents and briefs on relevant themes including sustainable commodity production, jurisdictional sustainability, legal frameworks for sustainable palm oil, palm oil supply chain traceability and more, with a view to identifying potential future opportunities where KAMI could offer support.
On the technical side, we work with stakeholders in multiple sectors to develop sustainability indicators to demonstrate the sustainability of district-level palm oil production in Malaysia.
The KAMI Malaysia Advisory Committee (AC) provides advice and expertise on areas of technical relevance for the project. It is composed of representatives from government, farmer and smallholder associations, private sector, and civil society organisations.
- European Union
- Ministry of Plantation Industries and Commodities (MPIC)
- Malaysian Palm Oil Certification Council (MPOCC)
- Malaysian Palm Oil Board (MPOB)
- Malaysian Palm Oil Council (MPOC)
- Institute of Strategic and International Studies Malaysia (ISIS)
- Universiti Putra Malaysia (UPM)
- French Agricultural Research Centre for International Development (CIRAD)
- Segi Enam
- Daemeter Consulting
- Preetha Sankar and Co.
Advisory Committee meeting minutes
Minutes of the 1st Advisory Committee meeting, June 2022 – minutes