REINFFORCE: a unique transnational network of arboreta
REINFFORCE is a world-unique infrastructure network of experimental sites - covering a large diversity of climate and soil conditions between latitudes 58° in North Scotland to 37° in South Portugal - with the objective of monitoring and adapting forests to climate change.
It consists of 38 arboretums of alternative forest regeneration material (including 33 species and 176 provenances from Europe and the entire world) and 41 demonstration sites to test the efficiency of adaptive silviculture compared with standard management.
REINFFORCE arboretum sign on the Isle of Mull, Scotland
The REINFFORCE network aims to provide forest managers with science-based evidence to help adapt their forests to climate change. It comprises 12 forest organisations and research institutes spanning four countries (Portugal, Spain, France, and the United Kingdom).
While the network was established as an INTERREG IV Atlantic project (2009-2013), the network has continued developing thanks to the coordination by EFIPLANT and the partners’ commitment for at least 15 years after the project end to its maintenance and monitoring.
Lourizan arboretum in Galicia, Spain
Ten years after its start, REINFFORCE is still active in its research and communication, with first scientific results already published in journals and presented at international scientific events.
The future of the REINFFORCE network is promising; synergies are being explored with multiple research projects (HOMED, ESPERENSE, B4EST) and with the EVOLTREE network to exploit the great potential of this infrastructure for the long-term research and adaptation of Atlantic forests.
Hernán Serrano León (right), REINFFORCE co-coordinator and researcher from 2017 to 2019 (EFIPLANT), with Eider Graner (EFIPLANT intern) and Alejandro Cantero (HAZI) in the Irisasi arboretum, Guipuzcoa
- EFI Planted Forests Facility (previously EFI Atlantic) – Lead partner
- Institut Européen de la Forêt Cultivée - IEFC (France)
- Forest Research - FR (UK)
- Institut National de la Recherche Agronomique - INRA (France)
- Institut pour le Développement Forestier - IDF (France)
- Centre Régional de la Propriété Forestière d'Aquitaine – CRPF Aquitaine (France)
- Gestion Ambiental de Navarra - GAN (Spain)
- HAZI Konsultoria (Spain)
- Instituto Vasco de Investigacion y Desarrollo Agrario – NEIKER (Spain)
- Universidad de Valladolid - UVa (Spain)
- Centro de Investigación Forestal de Lourizán – CIFA Lourizán (Spain)
- Instituto Superior de Agronomia - ISA (Portugal).
- Fiurnas Monitoring and Research Centre, Azorina S.A. (Portugal)
- Direção Regional dos Recursos Floreatis – DRRF (Portugal)
Find out more about REINFFORCE on the project website
Written by Hernán Serrano León (EFIPLANT) and edited by Stephanie Hayes (Hayes4Com)